• 20  of  30
Asset Preview
TIF
Uploaded on:
24/10/2018 17:17:18
Type:
Asset
File Size:
197.14 MB
Extension:
tif
Dimensions:
4910 x 7016 pixels
1275 views 40 downloads
Title: 1907P147 Trinity College Chapel, Edinburgh
Description: 1907P147
Trinity College Chapel, Edinburgh, 1838
Artist: John Ruskin

From PreRaphaelites.org:
This drawing has traditionally been identified as a view of Lady Glenorchy's Chapel in Edinburgh. However, Dr Elizabeth Cummings has identified the building as Trinity College Church as seen from Calton Hill, Edinburgh. Trinity college was founded 1460 by the queen of King James II. It was built in the 1500s, although the nave was never completed. Ruskin toured Scotland with his parents in 1838 and it is likely that he executed this work during his visit. The precise style of drawing indicates that in his youth Ruskin was influenced by the English artist Samuel Prout (1783-1852). The catalogue of the Ruskin exhibition held at Manchester City Art Gallery states that in 1904 the drawing belonged to Mr and Mrs A. Severn. Mrs Severn was Ruskin's cousin and her husband Arthur became his pupil.
Keywords:
Art Movement
/
Pre-Raphaelite
,
19th Century
,
Birmingham Museums Trust/Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery
,
Pencil
,
Scotland
,
Topographical Views
,
Architecture
,
Sketch
,
Cityscape
   
Usage Rights: Creative Commons 0 - Public Domain. Optional attribution: Photo by Birmingham Museums Trust, licensed under CC0
Show more details
Height: 330
Width: 225
Unit: mm
Credit Line: Presented by the Trustees of the Griffiths Bequest, 1907.