1969F100 John Hardman Studio Wages Tray, 1850 Wooden box divided into five rows lengthways, each row containing eight tins painted with a number in red. Hardman & Co
Hardman's were originally a metalworking firm, commissioned by Pugin and Barry in 1838 to make the ornamental metalwork needed for the new Houses of Parliament. Soon Pugin encouraged Hardman to also supply the required stained glass, and a stained glass studio was added to his workshop. Hardman's glass-work can be found in churches and other buildings all over Britain and abroad. This wages' tray from the nineteenth century reminds us of the lives of the workers who produced these masterpieces.