2000M15.1 and 2000M15.2 Cleopatra Vases, 1771 Ormolu mounted, with pale Derbyshire fluorspar or 'Blue John'. Makers: Boulton & Fothergill
During the second half of the eighteenth century ornamental vases were very popular, in some cases sets of up to seven vases were produced to be placed together on a chimneypiece. Boulton was one of the first manufacturers to seize on the commercial opportunities created by the craze for the 'antique taste', or neo-classicism as we now refer to it, which flourished in the 1760s. The small size of this candle vase made it ideal for use on a side table or a part of a garniture on a chimneypiece and satisfied the eighteenth century craze for vase ornaments. No explanation for this candle vase's name 'Cleopatra vase' has been found.